PUBLIC INFORMATION ACT (PIA) REQUESTS
The Public Information Act (PIA) guarantees the public access to information maintained by a government agency. It is our policy to provide you with the fullest possible access to public information. If you wish to request records under the Texas Public Information Act, please refer to the following requirements and guidelines.
To submit a Public Information request:
- Requests for public information must be made in writing. Your request should, at a minimum, include your name, address, and as much description as you can provide about the information you are requesting. It would be helpful if you also include your contact number and/or email address so that we may reach you if we have questions regarding your request.
- Emailed requests will be accepted only if they are sent directly to the Public Information Officer listed below.
Responsibilities of Governmental Bodies
All governmental bodies responding to information requests have the responsibility to:
- Establish reasonable procedures for inspecting or copying public information and inform requestors of these procedures;
- Treat all requestors uniformly and shall give to the requestor all reasonable comfort and facility, including accommodation in accordance with ADA requirements;
- Be informed about open records laws and educate employees on the requirements of those laws;
- Inform requestors of the estimated charges greater than $40 and any changes in the estimates above 20 percent of the original estimate, and confirm that the requestor accepts the charges, has amended the request, or has sent a complaint of overcharges to the Office of the Attorney General, in writing before finalizing the request;
- Inform the requestor if the information cannot be provided promptly and set a date and time to provide it within a reasonable time;
- Request a ruling from the Office of the Attorney General regarding any information the governmental body wishes to withhold, and send a copy of the request for ruling, or a redacted copy, to the requestor;
- Segregate public information from information that may be withheld and provide that public information promptly;
- Make a good faith attempt to inform third parties when their proprietary information is being requested from the governmental body;
- Respond in writing to all written communications from the Office of the Attorney General regarding charges for the information. Respond to the Office of the Attorney General regarding complaints about violations of the Act.
Some information is deemed confidential under the Texas Public Information Act. That information will be withheld from any Public Information Act Response. For more information regarding these exceptions, please refer to Texas Government Code Section 552, Subchapter C.
Public Information Officer
Texas Veterans Commission
P.O. Box 12277
Austin, Texas 78711-2277
Fax (512) 475-2395
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org