TVC’s Fund for Veterans’ Assistance (FVA) awarded 15 grants totaling $2,980,000 to 14 counties to support services provided through their Veteran County Services Offices (VCSO). The grants help fund a variety of assistance provided by VCSOs including financial assistance services, housing and transportation services.
Veteran County Service Offices, local governments and nonprofit organizations interested in receiving grants for services provided directly to veterans and their families can apply now for FVA grants. Applications are currently open and close December 4, 2023, at 5 p.m. Find out more including how to apply at TVC Grants.
The FVA VCSO grants awarded include:
- Cameron County: a $120,000 grant for financial assistance
- Cass County: a $300,000.00 for financial assistance
- Comal County: a $250,000 grant for financial assistance
- El Paso County: a $300,000 for financial assistance
- Harris County: a $300,000 grant for financial assistance
- Hays County : a $100,000 for financial assistance
- Hidalgo County: a $300,000 grant for financial assistance
- Liberty County: a $50,000 grant for financial assistance
- San Patricio County: a $300,000 grant for financial assistance
- Val Verde County: a $50,000 grant for transportation programs and services
- Webb County: a $150,000 grant for transportation programs and services
- Willacy County: a $150,000 grant for financial assistance
- Williamson County: a $210,000 grant for financial assistance
- Zapata County:
- a $100,000 grant for financial assistance
- a $300,000 Housing for Texas Heroes grant
TVC Commissioners approved grant awards in May totaling over $36.3 million to over 135 organizations across Texas and estimated to serve more than 81,770 veterans.
Since 2009 through the current 2023-2024 grant cycle, more than $270 million in grant funding has been awarded through 1,255 FVA grants, serving an estimated 481,000 Texas veterans and their family members.
The grants support a wide range of services from emergency financial assistance to transportation, legal services to family support services, and home modification to rental and mortgage assistance. The TVC awards grants in five categories: General Assistance, Housing for Texas Heroes, Veterans Mental Health Grants, Veterans Treatment Courts, and Veteran County Service Officers.
Veterans in need of assistance can find organizations providing help in their area and how to contact them at https://www.tvc.texas.gov/grants/assistance/ .
Funding for these grants is generated primarily by the Texas Lottery Commission’s games designated for veteran support. Other sources of funding for the grants come from individual donation options on drivers’ licenses, licenses to carry a handgun, outdoor recreation licenses for hunting and fishing, and vehicle registrations.