The Texas Veterans Commission Veterans Employer Liaison (VEL) assists employers by serving as the link between companies needing quality employees, and qualified Texas veterans who are seeking employment. Veterans Employer Liaison (VEL) accomplish this by educating companies on the benefits of hiring veterans and by acting as a liaison between employers and veterans.
Veterans Employer Liaison (VEL)
VEL staff conduct outreach to employers and business associations and engage in advocacy efforts with hiring executives to increase employment opportunities for veterans and encourage the hiring of disabled veterans.
VEL’s provide the following services:
• Planning and participating in job and career fairs
• Conducting employer outreach
• In conjunction with employers, conducting job searches and workshops, and establishing job search groups
• Coordinating with unions, apprenticeship programs, and businesses or business organizations to promote and secure employment and training programs for veterans
• Informing federal contractors of the process to recruit qualified veterans
• Coordinating and participating with other business outreach efforts VEL’s are members of the business services team.
For more information and to find an American Job Center near you, click HERE.
HIRE Vets Medallion Program
The HIRE Vets Medallion Award is the only federal-level veterans’ employment award that recognizes a company or organization’s commitment to veteran hiring, retention, and professional development. Visit https://www.hirevets.gov/ to get started on your application. To view award recipients for 2019 click HERE
Hiring Veterans Toolkit
The United States Department of Labor Veterans’ Employment and Training Service (DOL-VETS) has developed a step-by-step toolkit for employers to assist and educate employers who have made the proactive decision to include transitioning Service Members, Veterans and wounded warriors in the their recruitment and hiring initiatives.