Archive for 2019

Grant Application FAQ: Define a veteran

As part of the Fund for Veterans’ Assistance (FVA) application process, you will have to define a veteran. This exercise is a practical one, rather than philosophical.

Requests for Application from the Fund for Veterans’ Assistance all include definitions of surviving spouse and disabled veteran because these terms are set by our governing statutes. But some organizations have a specific population or experience in mind when designing their grant programs, so FVA asks applicants for their own definition of a veteran ...

Continue Reading

Grant Application FAQ: VCSO Funding

gtag('config', 'UA-133219149-1');
The 2021-2022 Request for Application includes new, specific guidance for Veterans County Service Office grant applicants:

Veteran County Service Office Grants include all the service categories listed in the General Assistance Grant Program, Housing for Texas Heroes Grant Program, and Veterans Mental Health Grant Program. Veteran County Service Officers are ...

Continue Reading

Grantee Spotlight: Combat veterans receive financial lift with CLC Inc.’s COIN Project

Combat veteran M.T. Webb was encountering difficulty securing a job and the lack of employment was affecting his mental well being. That’s when the COIN (Combatants Overcoming Income Needs) Project helped Webb get back on his feet.

“Vets like me who have college degrees, but can’t secure work—we need that essential financial link that can get us over the hill until we can get on our feet again,” said Webb, a U.S. Army Medical Core/ U.S. Navy veteran of the Persian ...

Continue Reading

Grantee FAQ: Employee or Contractor, and why does it matter?

Q: A new worker is being hired to assist with our grant. Does it matter whether we classify them as an employee or a contractor in our paperwork?

A: Yes: this difference is important, because the documentation of time and effort must match the type of worker hired.


  • Document time and effort (i.e. timesheets).
  • Document pay to employee (i.e. pay stub).
  • If payroll is processed by a third-party accounting service, you must also include proof of payment from your bank to the third party.
  • If ...
Continue Reading
Scroll to Top